The Human Brain has amazed people throughout the ages.
There are scientists and doctors who have devoted their entire lives to learning how the brain works. It is no wonder that people enjoy learning facts about this incredible organ in the human body. Would you like to know some interesting facts about your brain?
Well, let’s read some of them below:
- The smell of chocolate increase theta brain waves, which triggers relaxation.
- Brain weighs about 3 pounds. Of that, the dry weight is 60% fat, making your brain the fattiest organ.
- Only 5 minutes without oxygen can cause brain damage.
- When awake, the human brain produces enough electricity to power a small light bulb.
- Brain is 60% white matter and 40% gray matter.
- The white matter is made up of dendrites and axons, which create the network by which neurons send their signals.
- The gray matter is made up of neurons, which gather and transmit signals.
- Reading aloud and talking often to a young child promotes brain development.
- It only takes 6 minutes for brain cells to react to alcohol.
- New brain connections are created every time you form a new memory.
- It is thought that a yawn works to send more oxygen to the brain, therefore working to cool it down and wake it up.
- Although pain is processed in your brain, your brain has no pain receptors and feels no pain.
- This explains how brain surgery can be performed while the patient is awake with no pain or discomfort
- The brain treats rejection like physical pain.
- Scientists say that dieting could force your brain to eat itself.
- Excessive stress has shown to “alter brain cells, brain structure and brain function”.
- The connection between body and mind is a strong one. One estimate is that between 50-70% of visits to the doctor for physical ailments are attributed to psychological factors.
- Forgetting is good for the brain: deleting unnecessary information helps the nervous system retain its plasticity.
- If you were drinking and don’t remember what you did last night, it’s not because you forgot. While you are drunk your brain is incapable of forming memories.
- Studies show that brain waves are more active while dreaming than when you are awake.
- Some scientists believe zombies could be real and that it’s possible a mutated virus could attack our brains and rapidly spread throughout large populations causing essentially a “zombie apocalypse.”
- Long-term mobile phone use significantly increases the risk of brain tumors.
- If you are snoring, you are not dreaming.
- If you are awakened during a dream, you are much more likely to remember the dream than if you slept until a full night’s sleep.
- Ninety minutes of sweating can temporarily shrink the brain as much as one year of aging.